Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Thailand

Thailand

Thailand is a beautiful country and it caught my attention. I knew there were beautiful views so I wondered what it would be like to go there on vacation. The things I wanted to know the most about was a bit of this country’s background information, a lot about the food and Thailand’s nature. I especially want to go to the beach and lay on the sand, and then later get stuffed on all of the food. Let’s take a trip to Thailand.


The people of Thailand are called Thai. Thailand is inhabited by more than 6 million people. Thailand is ruled by a western power and located in South East Asia. The country was formally call Siam but adopted the name Thailand in 1939. Thai citizens are required to be 18 years of age or older to vote. The ancestors of Thailand originally migrated from Southern China more than 1,000 years ago. 95% of Thai people are Buddhists and the other 5% are Muslims. The languages spoken by most Thai people are of 4 basic dialects, Malay, Chinese, Lao and Mon-Khmer. English is also being spoken more in government and commerce. It is a law that children must go to school from ages 6 to 14. Mon and Khmer peoples, more than 2,000 years ago, lived in Thailand. Thailand’s economy is based off of free enterprise. Agriculture, manufacturing, fishing, mining, tourism and international trade are the bases of Thailand’s economy.



There is so much delicious cuisine in Thailand and food is a pleasure. Food such as fruit and vegetables are carved into shapes and objects and served as a snack or  with side a dish. Thailand food is more a feast of the eyes than the stomach because of the color and placing of the dish. Restaurants open around 11 a.m. and close around 10 p.m. to midnight. Coffee shops are a place to sit drink, snack or even kill time. Roadside food stands are mobile and owners push them home every night to be cleaned. Ingredients that are used to make the food are openly displayed in glass cases on the stand. Thai people were not accustomed to being tipped but the popularity of tips from tourists has been adopted. Thais eat with a fork in the left hand and a spoon in the right, the fork pushes the food onto the spoon to be eaten from the spoon. If you eat straight from the fork it is considered to be rude. Noodle dishes are strongly influenced by Chinese culinary traditions and are eaten with a spoon and chop sticks. Prices are listed next to each dish on a menu, usually written in Arabic numerals. Thai food is famous for its spicy qualities, chili peppers are an important part of these dishes. Rice and rice noodles are a staple food here, they can be served with dry or fried dishes and even soups. Meats are lightly fired and the veggies are boiled. As you can see Thailand is crazy about their food.



There is also breath taking scenery in Thailand. Thailand is home to many national parks, 100 parks to be exact. The beach of Thailand is a place for people to relax, learn how to scuba dive or even see some marine life. There are temperate forests of the Northern mountains and plains of central Thailand. By the savannahs there are mangrove forests off the Southern coast.Thailand has many animals here including elephants, monkeys, bears, whale sharks and some of the world’s largest fish. Thailand only goes through 3 seasons, a dry season from March to May, a hot and wet period from June to October and a cold dry season form November to February. Simple light clothing is worn here due to the hot tropical climate.



Now that I know more about this country I would like to go on vacation here someday. You now know more background information about Thailand, the food, and about the nature of this great country. I hope that you have learned more than you already knew and would want to go here someday just like me. Just thinking about being in the tropical climate with the warmth of the sun shining down on me. Okay you caught me, I just want to get a really nice tan!






Bibliography

Websites: 


Book: 

Thailand: written by Rosalyn Thiro; 


Encyclopedia: 


World Book Student: Thailand; written by Pasuk Phongpaiehit and Chris Baker 2015

1 comment: